Changing Worlds – Young Children Becoming Literate
A One-Day Workshop in Winnipeg, Manitoba on April 6, 2019
On Saturday April 6, 2019 we are excited to be hosting a one day professional learning workshop in Winnipeg, Manitoba. This workshop is all about literacy learning for young children (6 and under).
Who should attend?
- Early Childhood Educators
- Daycare Providers
- Kindergarten and Pre-School Teachers
- Literacy Coaches and Specialists
- Parents, Grandparents and Caregivers of young children
Where is this workshop?
- The Victoria Inn in Winnipeg – right near the airport with lots of free parking.
- Purposeful play to support literacy
- Tips for reading to and writing with young children
- Literacy learning strategies parents can use with young children
- How to notice when extra supports are needed
- Sparking interest in reading and writing
- Where to find resources to support reading and writing
- and so much more!
Take a look at all 10 Learning Sessions – when you register you will be able to select the workshops you would like to attend.
If you have already registered to attend you can select your learning sessions in advance.
Take a look at the entire schedule for the workshop.
Miriam Trehearne has been a classroom teacher, Program Specialist, University Associate, Reading Recovery Liaison Administrator and Literacy Specialist with one of the largest school districts in Canada. Miriam researches literacy best practices, presents at conferences, and has recently written six professional books, including an AEP Award Winner. A regular speaker at International Literacy Association, ECEC and Reading Recovery Conferences, she co-chaired a one-day Institute with renowned literacy expert Regie Routman.
Miriam will be speaking about High-Risk to Success Before Grade One: We Have the Proof! as her keynote address. She will also be presenting a workshop entitled, Developing Oral Language and Listening Comprehension in Preschool and Kindergarten Practical Strategies That Work!
Closing Keynote Speaker
Dr. Allyson Matczuk is a Reading Recovery Trainer for the Western Region (Manitoba). She is an Early LIteracy Consultant with Manitoba Education and Training. With year of experience in early literacy, reading recovery and education, this is a session you will not want to miss.
Allyson will be speaking about, “What is Possible?”. The decisions we make as educators, childcare providers and parents reflect our beliefs and philosophies. Do we know how to provide the best opportunities for each child? How can we approach learning experiences for young children with an open mind and an open heart? Understanding that as the children in our care continue to grow and learn, their development is based on the foundations we have provided is critical. Is it possible to be re-assured that we are doing the best for each child?
How much will it cost?
- The workshop is $185 and includes refreshments, lunch, a keynote speaker and several engaging workshops throughout the day.
- Workshops are led by leading literacy experts in Manitoba
- The day will start at 9am and run through to 4:00pm.
- Invoicing for large groups can be arranged – contact email@example.com
There will be several workshop options to choose from throughout the day. These workshops will be facilitated by local early literacy experts, Reading Recovery Teacher Leaders and Trainers from across Manitoba and experts in early childhood literacy learning. Find out about all of the learning sessions available to you now!
There will also be a few exhibitors on-site with resources and materials to enhance literacy learning for young children.
If you are coming from a distance and require accommodation please book a room at the Victoria Inn using the following details to receive a reduced rate:
Rooms are available to be booked now. Find all the details about accommodations and reserve your room now. The workshop will start promptly at 8:30am and end at 4pm on April 6th. The special room rate will be held until March 15, 2019.
Space is limited and you won’t want to miss this amazing learning event! Register today!